FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel recommendations & must dos in Madrid
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:14 pm
gpapadop

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the comments! I am realizing that Madrid is just not the ideal place to spend a week. The reason I did it because I managed to get $293 RT all-in tickets on Delta and it was either that or Copenhagen which I just barely missed. Plus I continue with my goal of visiting at least 1 new country each year.

Now I am thinking maybe I should look into flying out on one of those cheapo airlines (easyjet, ryanair--->oh no!) and go somewhere else more tourist friendly that has a magnificent Hilton. Hmm, maybe Paris, my wife wants to go there. Perhaps split our time between the two cities or stay in Madrid for just 2 nights or so....Oh decisions, decisions.

The Westin Palace looks pretty good for us, as the Cash & Points rate is a better deal. The IC will require a revenue stay and I need to pay up for Ambassador membership (and I don't think i have a chance for RA which may be required anyway for lounge access). The rates are just way too high. I will take a look at Priceline and see if we can do better there.

Wonder if train MAD to Paris is reasonable and feasible without wasting too much time...Any suggestions on other close by places with magnificent Hiltons easily accessible from MAD? My wife and kids still rave about our stay in Rome at the Cavalieri!