FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are BOS-OAK JetBlue flights diverting to refuel?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:40 am
GlobeTripper

Sipples (who seems to have quiet a bit of aviation knowledge) gave a good explanation to the persistent transcontinental range problem JetBlue has with their A320. Once again this week the BOS-LAX flights have had technical stops due to the A320s endurance problems.

According to pilots I've spoken with the A320 is- under ideal conditions- a seven hour airplane plus minimum reserves. Problems crop up when there is a screaming wet-to-east jet stream, a destination airport like SFO or LAX is IFR and they have to file an alternate adding additional fuel loads. Additionally the A320 near take-off gross weight has to initial at a lower westbound altitude than the equivalent Boeing 737-800, burning more fuel per hour for the beginning of the flight. Technical aviation journals I've read indicate the airline has pleaded with Airbus for years to find ways to increase the aircraft's range.

I love JetBlue but I had my first refueling adventure with them this week. Most people took it in stride but it is a little frustrating to know that American and United with their larger and longer ranged Boeing 757s never suffer this problem.