FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:36 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part III - The joy's of Dulles, IAD to LGA

Now of course being at IAD means one can either take the spacebuggy to immigration, or take head to the transfer section on C Concource. I headed to transfer.

And oh dear. 4 lanes of switchbacks in the visitors queue. At least every booth was manned. Alas, they couldn't redirect people to the US Residents lane as that was filling up rapidly.

At my turn in the queue, I was seen to, and stamped into the country in about 3 minutes or so. Not so bad at all.

By this point, the luggage had long since been offloaded from the carousel (and as I had none, that was besides the point), so I made my way to the customs check, where I was greeted with a friendly "Welcome to the United States"

What wasn't friendly was the 5 lane switchback for midfield security. And it was full TSA games today with handswipes, in the presecurity queue. Another 30 minutes and I made it to my lane (with people who had just flown in working out they had to take their shoes off and laptops out

I was then directed to the Nude-O-Scope. To which I bluntly replied "I Opt Out". Much to the facial consternation of the TSA person who was in flapjacket kit.

Another 5 minutes and I was directed through the side gate and given the full fondle, although to compliment the inspecting officer, he gave me the opportunity to have the screening in private, and he explained what he was doing. Thankfully I was cleared, and thanked for my time and understanding.

(and no, I didn't get any flowers, chocolates or anything. Jumping to second base before going through the dating routines. I ask you...)

What was a 3:30 hour connection had been burned down to an mere 1 and a half hour. And as much as I really wanted to get to the Dulles Bus Station, I decided head to the RCC instead for 40 minutes.

Lounge stop: United Red Carpet Club C7

Why do I always end up at this Club at IAD? Ho hum. I was greeted at the podium, and after the agent had fun swiping my BMI Diamond Club card, she manually entered it to make it work. I was offered a free T-Mobile internet card as well - how very nice.

Which for 40 minutes is perfect time to have a couple of colas, look at the lack of food, and get my mail and call home.

Otherwise, look through my previous trip reports - it hasn't changed. But it does need a change and a lick of paint like the B Gate Lounges at ORD...

Eventually, 15:30 came round and it was time to hike over to the A gates. Now crossing IAD as many of us remember used to be a matter of getting on a Space Buggy and trundling around the terminal. Well now they have this wonder Aerotrain.

Yes, it seemed EXACTLY like this

Except the C station concourse is at the site of where the "New" C/D Concourse will be built. And considering this is IAD, whole civilisations could had risen and fallen in that time. Therefore a lot of hiking is needed.

Ah, nothing like a good stretch of the legs.

Thankfully there was a train waiting, and soon enough I was in the back end of Dulles - the United Express A Gates where I had 5 minutes to wait before boarding was called. Our ERJ of the day was awaiting outside, set to rock.

UA7517 Washington Dulles International to New York La Guardia, 11/02/11
United Express Operated by Shuttle America, Embraer 170, Economy Class 14A
277 miles flown, 600 Miles Earned,

The Pictures http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...-at-night.html

Y'know, I may be seen as odd, but this is an Regional Jet that I actually like (along with most of the Embraer aeroplanes to be honest), as it feels big, roomy and the 2 x 2 seating that you're not compressed against is a winner. It's a shame the windows are misaligned though.

It seems everyone was at the gate on time, as the door was sealed quickly and we pushed back.

The last of a breed

Safety demo was carried out manually by the crew, and the plane begun it's taxi... until we made a very familiar turn to the penalty boxes. Thankfully, it was 10 minute hold - and for once it was just that. Soon enough we rocketed up into the evening sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H8khn9h6eQ

The service was a glass of coke, but lets be honest, that's not important right now. What is more important is what's going on outside the window.

From the sunset

Over the East Coast Lakes

To a night time approach with Manhattan to the left

And Crossing near LGA

and finally landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFoiX714APg

After a short hold, we taxied to the gate and an airbridge was connected, allowing people to leave the plane

Overall: Yet another excellent performance by Republic Airlines crews. The flight attendants whilst sluggish did the job they could do in a 40 minute flight. But who cares about that. Sometimes the view out of the window makes up for any flight - and this was one of those times.

Upon exiting at LGA, I followed the signs out and having no luggage - was at the kerb in 5 minutes. It was then a matter of dealing with a NYC Cabbie, who got lost and drove round in circles a couple of times until I reached my hotel on 29th and 39th - the Holiday Inn Long Island.