FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:54 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.

Re-creating a photo - To New York (AKA The Spring United Audit)
BHX-AMS, AMS-IAD-LGA, LGA-IAD-FRA, FRA-LCY
A mileage run with United, British Airways and BMI Baby

Previous reports at the end of this report

---

So nice to see you so soon! One mileage run tends to lead to another, and this trip is no exception. Except as you know I prefer my mileage runs with benefits. Like some of my friends.

In terms of seating and class, we're firmly entrenched in traditional Kevincm territory here - back of the bus, GhettoIFE systems, Low end hotels, cheap flights, cheap flights (oops.That's a song), with all the fun that goes with them. So sit back, relax and prepare for some fun....

---

Will fly for miles (Yes, it's the introduction)

So just before my last trip to the states (and that's some time ago), I saw this picture at one of those home furnishing places that you poke your head into, then run away quickly screaming when you see how bad the junk is in there.

But a picture caught my eye when I visited some time ago.

And I looked at it. And I liked it. But then I thought - can I do better? Lets find out and see if I can wrap this into a mileage run.

Mileage runs as we all know are there to get the maximum amount of miles for the least amount of outlay, whilst spending the barest amount of time. Of course, I prefer if possible to spend time at a location - least of all if I haven't been there, I'd like to see more of a place than the airport.

A bit of research one November evening found a fare that reduced fuel surcharge to a silly amount, and thus the main fare to a very stupid amount using open jaw journeys. Enough that I should had booked 2 tickets really. But 1 ticket will suffice if this year continues as it goes on.

So what's the location - New York!

When booking the ticket I had two options on the table: Direct flights with Continental, or Indirect with United.

Now, as much as I would had preferred the Continental service (although it seems people based out of IAH seem to have bees in their bonnets after my last trip), I'll happily fly for miles. And here are a few numbers.

CO Direct: AMS-EWR-FRA yields: 7525 miles
UA Indirect: AMS-IAD-LGA-IAD-FRA: 9147 Miles (where short segments are deemed 600 miles/segment in Diamond Club land)

The price difference of course about $3. With an extra 1600 miles or so (by the time the Diamond Club rounders get there - it'll be less than that), a short connection risk at IAD, and a day off work booked the day after this, I've decided to route via IAD and take the miles. And considering Diamond Club will be alive to at least the end of 2011, this is no bad thing.

Now there is the additional matter of "positioning in" and "positioning out". So, BHX-AMS initially. Now, originally I thought it's time to try KLM. Except for one little thing (or not so little). With Five Services a day, not a problem you'd think. Except I'd call £310 for a single from a regional destination to a AMS is akin to being a bad joke.

Or to be local What the heck are they smoking???

Therefore it was time to be friends again with BMI Baby who wanted £44.99 for the same ticket. And I'm sorry, there's no contest there. BMI Baby wins - and even after waiting a few weeks, the price magically drops to £29.99 + £4 booking fee.

There's also the upside of 150 BMI Destination miles too. Which is better than a kick in the teeth - especially when it's double miles and a 150 miles bonus flies in too.

Then the final leg home alas turned into a sorry story very quickly. What was going to be a simple Eurohop with Lufthansa turned into a plava when all the super-cheap fares sold out.

Which was annoying.

A quick check indicated that Lufthansa had bumped all it's fares up, so the first thought was to overnight in Frankfurt (There are worse places in the world to overnight I suppose). Until I saw how much British Airways were charging for a single - £62 to LHR or £63 to LCY. With a price difference of £1 to fly into City or to fly into LHR T5, it was a very easy choice - City Airport (somewhere I haven't been for the past 25 years or so!)

For hotels, thankfully I don't have to worry about positioning in overnight, but I want something that's reasonable value. And the best value seemed to be over the river from Manhattan in Long Island, for a paltry $100 or so a night. And yes, it's a Holiday Inn. Not that I'm on a Crack the Case hunt still....

So, here's the map. Read and weep.

Map Generated by the Great Circle Mapper - www.gcmap.com

Enough of the yabbering. Onto the main event!