FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:05 pm
needtoescape

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Branch demographics impact?

I have only made three coin deposits so far (ranging from $400 - 1000), all at different branches of the same bank where I have accounts with a high five figure balance. All three branches are in the same town and are only a few miles apart. I had no trouble or questions at the first two branches and got the "people ask for these" comment when depositing rolled coins. But, when making my last deposit, at a branch that is located in a small area of this town that obviously is a lower income area (I don't mean to sound like a snob, but there is a couple block area around the plaza with this branch that has a trailer park, pawnshop, check cashing place, a couple of really junky looking stores, and the branch itself is not as nice as the others in the area), the teller told me they don't accept rolled coins at the window because they have the coin counter machines (all branches I have been in have these). I nicely stated that the coins were new, rolled coins and that I have not had any trouble depositing them rolled at other branches. The teller asked the head teller, and after looking at one of my coin rolls, they agreed to take them that way. The teller than asked me where I got them (no other tellers have), and I used my prepared response of "my tenant". He continued to seem suspicious of the coins, looking at the tops and bottoms of the rolls like he thought they would be filled with something else. FWIW, my attire, day/time of visit, etc. was nearly identical to my previous deposit.

Anyway, I have no intention of returning to that branch with coins, but I was wondering if my experience there likely was related to branch demographics, and if other people had similar experiences with getting questioned or finding employees less willing to accept coins in branches that may have lower income clientele.

I'm curious because I have thought about maybe doing some deposits near where I work, and the area definitely is lower income and higher crime.

Thanks for any feedback!