FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel to Cuba for a dual US/Canadian citizen
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:15 pm
Christopher

Originally Posted by EUnomad
Have a look at title 46, ch 38 § 1903 of the US code. There is a prohibition on possession with intent to manufacture applying to all US citizens of any vessel worldwide. Note that the vessel need not be a "US vessel" if a US citizen is on board. Consequently, if a US person carrying seeds steps on a boat in Amsterdam, they are violating section 1903 of the US code. I'm quite surprised to be hearing recently that US law stretches worldwide.

I haven't found the more relevant code yet.. dealing with possession of mj w/ intent to use. It would be interesting to verify that it excludes Amsterdam, as you've suggested.
That is as maybe, but I'm not sure why carrying a substance on a vessel is akin to smoking a substance while in Amsterdam (or anywhere else). Most people who smoke marijuana in Amsterdam, I imagine, procure it there.

(And of course I didn't suggest that any relevant US law specifically excludes Amsterdam.)