FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First goes out with empty seat, multiple people on upgrade list.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:39 pm
Score8

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by newgrad071
Ah great, here I was hoping it was something else. Broken seat, small person, really anything but it looks like it was just laziness.

When people talk about the 'paperwork' required to upgrade someone, really how long does it take to clear someone off the list? Is it really so cumbersome agents don't do it?

Why don't they clear the upgrade list before boarding? Are they really waiting for the mythical walk-up full fare purchase? Just clear the list 15 minutes prior to boarding, say all upgrades have been accommodated, and be accurate about it. It would restore people's faith in the system. If there is a F pax who doesn't board the FAs have the list of upgrades handed to them before the door shuts. I don't see why this is so difficult...

I can think of one reason...because I may have the opportunity as an F purchaser on a later flight to make this earlier flight as a standby and replace the #1 person on that upgrade list. As this new flight may have been too tight a connection for an original itinerary, it may be something to be accomplished if my flight arrives early enough.

A more likely reason is that they only want to clear the list one time. If someone is running a little late on a connecting flight and is due an upgrade, the GA surely doesn't want to issue the upgrade to the connecting passenger only to have them not make the flight and have to reissue the upgrade to a new passenger (who may now be on the plane ;-))). It is simply easier to just wait and process with all of the relevant information.