FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kodiak Bears
Thread: Kodiak Bears
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:10 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by PIONEER
Thanks very much fti. Yeah, we've already seen a grizzly at Denali. The goal this time is to see them in the water catching salmon. We are definitely not going to be dealing with sleeping bags etc. and so would appeciate a referral to a decent tour operator or lodge. (I've found some on the net, but a referral from a fellow FT would carry a lot more weight.) Our preliminary research indicates that there are a lot of people there in July and August, so we're thinking just after Labor Day. Thanks again
I don't have any personal recommendation for a tour operator.

I trust you don't mean seeing the bears catching salmon that are jumping in midair. That classic picture in people's minds comes from Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park and only happens in/around July.

I think your reasoning of going just after Labor Day may be faulty. My guess is that the reason a lot of people are there in July and August is because a lot of BEARS are there in July and August. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want to go in the prime bear viewing time. You go to Kodiak in September and your chances diminish greatly, at least from the research I have done so far. I just wouldn't consider such a trip myself unless I went during the "peak" season, crowds or not. You might want to reconsider.

Last edited by fti; Feb 21, 2011 at 4:06 am