FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo hotels for a wheelchair user?
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:32 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Tokyo hotels for a wheelchair user?

I'm looking for advice from the Tokyo regulars on which hotel you would recommend for a wheelchair user (manual wheelchair, unable to walk). I have been to Tokyo many times, but never with someone who has a mobility impairment. Whether the actual hotel room is accessible matters little, it's more about getting around town. This would be a short 3-day trip for a first-time visitor, so I'm thinking close to the Yamanote line (most stations have elevators, and the line gives access to most sights a first time visitor might take in).

I have stayed at all Hyatt, IHG, and SPG hotels in Tokyo. The ANA IC and GH are nightmares due to their location (subways only with hard to get to platforms). PH is out of the way and requires a bus/cab transfer in addition to navigating a large and confusing station. IC Tokyo Bay might work, easy access to Hinode Pier and all the places the waterbus goes; however, the Yurikamome isn't easily accessible and neither is Shinbashi JR station. The Westin may be an option, but I am not sure about the walkway from Ebisu station (any stairs?). Finally, the best bet (perhaps) is IC Strings, located directly on top of Shinagawa station, which is excellent for accessibility.

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!