FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:59 pm
shinbal

Arrow Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

I just spent one night here. I had a rate of $169. When I arrived at the hotel, a really friendly two-person desk staff greeted me. I was informed that I'd been put on the Club level. It was a textbook, "we're really glad you're staying with us" check-in, where they actually CHECKED to see if a further upgrade was available, without my asking. I found out that suites were all occupied. That was fine....what a very nice desk staff!

The room was a big disappointment. It was a king with a nice view of the atrium. However, temperature control was non-existent. It was either 60 degrees or 80 degrees. The main heat register vent fell out of the wall with a crash on to my room service tray, and I wondered what would be next.

The bed was adequate, but not really comfortable when compared to many Sheraton, W, and Westin properties. The room was clean, but had some dents that told me it had seen better days.

What really got me was the bathroom. It looked as though they had never wiped the walls down next to the sink, which had splatters of someone's toothpaste on the wall (a sloppy brusher, no doubt). This obvious and nasty oversight on the housekeeping staff's part made me wary of the overall cleanliness of the room. There were a few more plumbing issues, but I'll leave them to your imagination. I reported all these issues to the GM before I left the hotel, who apologized for my disappointment, and asked me to try the hotel again in the future.

Had it been more than one night, I'd have requested a new room. As it was, I did my entertaining, went to sleep, and got out the next morning.

The other disappointment here was the evening service in the Club lounge. There was a nice fruit display in the evening, and some small quiches. Nothing sweet, and no coffee! In fact, the attendant looked as though I had just asked for cyanide when I suggested a cup of coffee. Morning service was much better.

A fitness center with run-down equipment is offset by a beautiful and well-maintained indoor pool area.

All in all, I think I just got a bad room. I ran in to several staff members and wish that every hotel I stayed in had staff like this. FRIENDLY! WARM! HELPFUL! The hotel is very pretty, has EXCELLLENT food, and is within a five-minute walk of the historic sites.
And yes, when I return to Philly, I'll give it another shot.