FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]
Old Feb 3, 2003, 5:37 pm
TraveltheWorld

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closing 2008 [Master Thread]

Just came back from a 7 nights in Kauai, 2 nights at the Hyatt and 5 at the Princeville
I used Starpoints for the 5 nights at the Princeville, and was confirmed into a
partial-ocean view room.

I inquired about an upgrade during the check-in process, but was told that an upgrade to a Jr. Suite was only available for an extra $100/night. Having stayed in both a regular room and Jr. Suite during my previous visits to the Princeville, I had no qualms about the additional fee, though I had hoped for a complimentary upgrade even though I'm only a Gold Member.

I asked if they were still offering an amenity for returning guests, but was told that the box of postcards had been discontinued. Other tangible cutbacks included artifical flowers in the rooms and public areas, and the conversion of the Cinema to Starwood Timeshare Offices.

Though the resort was still magnificent, small cutbacks here and there have depreciated the grandeur.

Most of the staff provided impeccable service, with the valets standing out above the rest.

However, I had one problem with the room that I could not get resolved to my satisfaction. During the second night of my stay, I found a cockroach in the living area of the room. Although I had never encountered a cockroach in my previous stays in the Princeville, I knew they were common
in Hawaii, and disposed of it. The next day, Mrs. TraveltheWorld found a cockroach while sitting on the couch. Again, I disposed of it, and informed the front desk. The front desk was rather curt,
quickly dismissing the problem, but did promise they would have housekeeping look into it.

Over the course of the stay, I would find 2 more live cockroaches, and 2 dead ones under a couch. I complained once more, but could not even find a sympathetic ear. While I had little problems with the cockroaches, Mrs. TraveltheWorld refused to sit in the living area after day 3.

While the cockroaches certainly marred the stay, overall they stay was a pleasant one. I think I'd be inclined to stay at the Hyatt the next time I was in Kauai though.