FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok (Master Thread)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:00 am
mcgahat

Programs: It's Complicated...
HI Bangkok Silom

I am posting my review that I did for TA. I added a few notes at the bottom of this as things that I rembembered after I posted my review. FYI, some of my comments earlier in this thread may not make sense since the thread was merged and some confusion before that as to what hotel we were talking about.

Arrival: We arrived from BKK airport late, about midnight. We took a public taxi. The fare was about 250THB and we did take the toll way even though the toll way is not always necessary that late. The tolls was about 70THB. Time to get to the airport from the airport was about 20-25 minutes...and that is asbout as quick as you could ever do it I think.

Check In: Check in was quick at the late hour. I was advised we were upgraded to a corner premier room as a Platinum Priority Club member. I was hoping for an upgrade to a club level as we had booked a room at a level just below that level.....the corner room is not bookable online. I hate it when your upgrade is to a made up category.

Room: When we arrived to our room, it was a bit strange as the guy bringing our luggage up was a little frantic and was scrambling around. After a few minutes we noticed why....our room was not clean. He apologized and ask us to go back down the to lobby. We went to the lobby and they said they did not have any other corner rooms available. We told them that we did not mind waiting as we planned to eat after the long trip anyway so they could just clean the room while we dined. After sitting down to eat at the 24 hour lobby restaurant the front desk lady came by to tell us to order whatever we want it was on the house due to our trouble. I was very surprised as it was not a huge ordeal for us. We ordered just some Thai dishes and I had some wine and did not expect it to be covered but to my surprise the waiter said we owed nothing when we ask for the bill. Once we got to our room it was actually very nicely decorated. The corner room was basically a premier room with a very big walk in closet with the closet having all windows along the wall and a small dressing table in it. NIce but nothing I would pay extra for. The room was very well decorated but showing a little wear in places....very nice room none the less.

Location: The location is not idea if you ask me. There is not a lot in the immediate area but you are close to the Surasak BTS (10-15 minute walk) which could be an un-comfortable walk when it is hot. To get a taxi to/from this area can be a reall pain also as the traffic is horrible along Silom Rd. You get a good deal on the hotel so you have to deal with a bad location I guess. As long as you understand that you will be spending a lot of time in a taxi and it will not be quick at times to get from point A to point B then you will be fine.

Restaurants: We at at the restaurant in the lobby area when we arrived and the food was quite good. Price was actually a little high but the same food items will cost you 30% more via room service and the menu is the same. The same menu is available at Harrys bar which has a happy hour till about 8PM and live music starting about 8 or 9PM. The bar is not very big but is a nice enough and service is "ok" but nothing great. We only had breakfast in the main restaurant which was very good but service was only fair there as well. There is also an Indian restaurant at this property but we did not eat there. We did have a couple of Indian dishes on the menu at the main restaurant which we were told came from the Indian restaurant and they were quite good.

Pool: Pool was pretty boring. Almost like it was an inconvenience or and after thought. It filled the need to swim and lay out but nothing nice at all.

Fitness: The hotel had a nice fitness area and a tennis court with equipment rental. I dont remember the price but it was reasonable.

Internet: This hotel had the most reasonable price for internet that I have seen among properties that charge for it. It was 300THB per day. Free is better but this is not as bad at the 600THB charge you see at other properties.

Misc: We had breakfast included in our room rate and when ask our departure time the check in clerk said since we were leaving before breakfast would start they could prepare a to go box for us or have room service breakfast. We preferred room service. Gave them the time and thought this is pretty cool. Well, they screwed it up and had to go boxes. We just gave them to the taxi driver and had hot food at the airport. Also, points did not post for dining and internet charges at the hotel. I contacted PC and they posted some but not all for the dining and internet...I gave up in the end. Please watch your points posting at this property as I have a feeling that is no accident and will be one that we will have to fight to get points correct.

Summary: I liked the rooms and dining outlets well enough but the location and the staff did not impress me. I think there are better options in this price range. If you are choosing between the other Priority Club hotels the other properities have a much more desirable location in my mind.

Lobby Lounge

Room

Room

Room

Room

Room

Closet Window

Closet

Dressing Table in Closet

Pool Area

Pool Area

Pool Area