FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:12 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lisalovlee33
We are flying from Toronto - PVG - Singapore. Transiting in PVG for about 4 hours. From Singapore, we are taking a cruise, with 2 stops (non-consequtive) in China. Our cruiseline has confirmed we will need a double entry visa for the cruise portion of the trip. I know I don't need any transit visa while in PVG. I have a few questions:
Try to get a multiple entry visa, if possible, just to eliminate the (extremely small) chance of having an entry wasted in Shanghai on your outbound. If it's too late for that, I suggest you find an image of the transfer stamp on google to print out and show to the border control guy... just to be extra safe (this will take you two minutes and will reduce the risk of you getting an arrival stamp from 1% to 0.01%).

The international transfer process in China improved considerably over the past two years in that air side transits are increasingly possible and even common. Having said that, depending on what airlines you're flying, there's a decent chance that you will need to claim your bags in PVG and check in again with your second airline.

4 hours is (much) more than enough time to accomplish the above. In fact, I would probably leave the secure part of the airport anyway just to get some fresh air... maybe even ride the Maglev.

You honestly don't have much to worry about at all.