FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 777-300 ER mini-reviews
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:53 am
Zaco

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Just a quick post as I've been scanning this thread - I will come back and tidy this and add detail when I get a minute to sit down. I flew on the 777-300 Business Premier AKL-LAX 2 weeks ago today - absolutely bowled over - fantastic. I had high expectations for this new plane and they were well exceeded. Just a few highlights:

- bed is now extremely comfortable, to be exact the padding on the seat is much thicker and softer, you can't feel the ridges at the joins. Then, on top of that, you get a 5cm memory foam mattress - cumulative effect is it is more comfortable than my bed at home and by far the most comfortable bed I've slept in on an aircraft
- food is bistro on the ground quality. The FAs bring around an extensive menu and ask what you'd like to order - basically pick and choose from anything. Eg I had a ceasar salad, followed by an excellent burger (I was going comfort food) freshly cooked with cheese just melting on a real toasted bun, then pavlova and ice cream. The gent in front of me had a salad as a main then went straight to sleep, others were having pizza, others decided to go gourmet and went for the top end chefs creations. Service was fine - eg the salad gent was served about 30 mins after reaching cruise and was asleep at 45 - I believe they're still working on this
- crew absolutely loved the new plane, and were excellent despite the fact they are obviously working harder
- breakfast - loads of options, but my favourite is the continental buffet that is set up in the middle galley. Just like a hotel, no waiting for service just go grab a plate or bowl and help yourself from a range of things include cereals, fruit, breads, toast, sliced cheese and meats etc.
- plane is ultra stylish, and because the cabin is white it effectively changes colour throughout the flight - it's never actually white. Eg on boarding it's all mood lighting purple, at night they used dark blues and purple, morning you get a mix of mood lighting and the natural light reflecting off the white surfaces as the sun comes up. It probably looks white on the ground, but in flight it really comes alive and I found it extremely relaxing.

In short - BP is stunning.

Cheers, Zac