FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Skywards Questions Answered
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:33 pm
rathin100

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by eightblack
rathin100

Firstly, and I say this tongue in cheek (ie in a joking fashion). No Gold member of Skywards should ever end up in a middle seat - not someone who is a member of FT anyway. You have access to too many tools to ever sit there!

And if you do get allocated a middle seat, you need to adopt the FT mantra. If the first person wont get you what you need or want, go ask another person. ie if the contract gate agent at check in gives you a middle seat, go to the lounge and have them change it.

I have never sat in a middle seat in J (and never will). Actually that's not quite true. I did sit there once when I was travelling with my parents, but that's because they are both useless and couldnt figure out how to operate the IFE.

And no, as far as I know, there is no different criteria for J to F, with the only point being that catering may come into play.

For example, EK would probably analyse loads carefully and say that with high loads in Y, the likelihood of op ups to J is going to be required, so would cater for a full J cabin (even if only half booked).

But if no one was booked in F, then they probably wouldn't cater for F. The last 2 times I was op-upped from J to F, they provided a J meal and menus, wine list etc.

Good question. Excellent in fact.

Eightblack what you say is true.. but here are the three times it happened all 77W

(1) Reach gate in a rush with my e boarding pass not having looked at seat allocation Find myself booked in a middle seat with 2 colleagues on either side (same PNR) Very mad. being colleagues cannot push them out...J full. Bingo...later find out J WAS empty BUT 9 upgrades SO no vacancy, so sorry you are last one boarding welcome back!.

Thats what I mean by squeeze... if I had been put in an F seat with whatever menu fine but they did not do that (same applikes below).

(2) (annoyed me for 3 minutes) IFE and seat recline (lie flat) not working cos my seat electronics has packed in, sorry only seat we have is middle take that or else stay upright for 14 hours with one magazine and a newspaper, so sorry and welcome back.. sorry will not op up to F although only 2 pax in suites
Mid flight chat reveals 7 upgrades so no seat!

Thats what I mean by squeeze

(3) (really annoyed me for 30 seconds) In aisle seat right side couple comes in, lady in middle seat her ten year old in window next to me.... old ladies on either side of the ladies middle seat, cabin crew lady and child asking me can you move pleeeese? OK I could have said no..but...you know? Again Cabin crew tell me flight was half full now full due to upgrades but no going to sit in F thank you very much for co-operating now sod off to your middle seat

Again squeeze

All above paid flights No 1 ex BKK No 2 ex DXB to GRU No 3 ex GRU

So, do ask the gods about policy?