FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:46 am
btwayland

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by binsbug
Can I do a gold challenge this year before 6/1 and then do a platinum challenge starting 12/16?

I have a RT flight planned for March LAX-BOS which I plan to book in a fare allowing me 1.0 EQP which should get me gold in a challenge.

I then have a RT LAX-MIA after 12/16 which I will likely book in a discount fare earning me 0.5 EQP. In February 2012 I will book a OW (to catch a cruise ship) LAX-MIA-GIG which I plan to book in Flexible economy (B) so I can upgrade to business using less miles and no co-pay. It is my understanding that I can earn over 10,000 EQP required to earn platinum during this period.

Am I allowed to do this or should I forget the gold challenge in March and go for the Platinum in Dec-Feb.? I would like to have the gold status for the later trips.

Thanks for any help. I have read at least 50 pages on this board and finally gave up.
IIRC, you are not technically allowed to do "serial" challenges, however, some have reported being allowed to do so (including me, but i did GLD/PLT within a 3 month period, not spaced 6+ months apart). others with more knowledge/experience can weigh in.

that being said, if you're just flying a few flights, i'm not seeing the benefits of status for just a few flights. excepting airport benefits and boarding early, status doesn't get you anything extra on the plane *internationally* if you do not upgrade with miles (which you can do without status). not going into EXP SWU benefits here since it seems the OP will not fly 100k miles this year.

personally i'd do the platinum challenge in december 2011 only if you will fly around 25k-50k miles in 2012, as you would then have status (if you meet the requirements of the challenge) until february 2013.

can you provide any more details (i.e. how frequently will you be flying AA/OW) about your 2011 and 2012 flying that could help us better advise you?