FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MEL-SEA via Asia on CX/DL/QF A380 ... and NH
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:41 pm
Kremmen

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Finally on an A380

QF10 SIN-MEL 388 20A 10/01 2020-0640+1 (actual 2053-0649+1)

My first impression was of a business class cabin that's futuristic, yet not very friendly. The Skybed looks a bit like something out of The Jetsons. Side storage bins are useful, though not as big as upstairs in a 747. The seat was comfortable and the view was good of the numerous SQ A380s we taxied past on our way out.

Having a little turbulence, they chose not to have the FAs up and about for a while. Once they were up, they brought us almost-cold, flimsy "hot" towels and later wandered around handing out amenities kits. (Why can't that be done on the ground?) Drink service was likewise at snail's pace. On a 10+ hour flight, I'd only find this marginally annoying, but, on a 7-hour flight, every minute they dawdle is a minute of lost sleep.

The wine list is huge and perversely lists every wine they might possibly be carrying. So, you can't decide what you'd like without asking what is actually available. (Yet another time-waster!) Not being a fan of dry wines, I asked which dessert and fortified wines were available on this flight, which the FA had to go and find out. The answer was De Bortoli Noble One and Seppelt Para Port, both lovely drops.

I'm pretty sure CX635 meal service was completed by about 1hr20 into the HKG-SIN flight, with at least 2 drink services. At the same duration into this flight, we'd had a drink and the dinner trolley hadn't even appeared yet! After my duck shepherd's pie, I had planned to visit the lounge and bar, but they are way up the front and after the excruciating slow dinner service, all I wanted to do was sleep.