FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help – adding more pages to US Passport
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:55 pm
hfly
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is maybe the 100th thread on this subject on FT, I had not noticed this one before, so a few comments:

UMassCanuck07, was 100 percent categorically wrong and if informed as such by the Embassy in Guatemala, or whoever, they lied. The DoS has a GUIDANCE published that says that they should not issue more than three extra sets of pages, however this is only a guidance, and with 8 extra sets in my current passport, and having seen the regulations (and posted them on FT before verbatim from the DoS handbook) I state this categorically and definitively. Some missions will outright lie about this, however if one is firm, one will get extra books added (my favorite was where some young punk DoS worker bee told me, "but if you travel with a passport this thick, you'll often have problems travelling!". My answer was, "I've used this passport on average every three days for the last xx years, including twice this week already, other than annual leave, how often do YOU travel internationally? What possible experience or example could you possibly give me about this matter?" he shut up, had his superior come over, and after a 30 second chat about the fact that I was travelling the next day and that unless they wanted to pay for the "new" passport that they were insisting that I have and get it to me in about 26 hours, issued my pages immediately!

If your passport is full or almost full you can renew it at anytime. Any six month "rule" as stated above is simply NOT correct.

Yes, as has been stated many times on other threads, since some time last year they do now charge $82 for adding pages, as stated above, you can however ask for two books at a time.