FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:38 pm
goodandclassy

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Talking The time I pulled the DYKWIA Card... Share Your Stories

Alright...

Here is something for your Monday entertainment.

We all like to make fun of Mr. X and Ms. Y for acting like a DYKWIA. Maybe some self-reflection won't be so bad.

In my flying experience, I have rarely, and quite frankly, result-lessly, tried to pull the DYKWIA card, and I wonder if other have had similar (comical) experiences.

Here goes -

I was booked on my annual DL-ticketed AF TATL trip After receiving an op-up the prior year as an FO, I was eagerly looking forward to the flight and hoping the stars would align for me on the overnight flight. Not so much, as I arrived at JFK with two bags and 45 minutes prior to departure. Oops. The agent checking me in said she would let me board but with no bags.

Lesson 1 - Take the boarding pass and run! Gate-check is always an option, with proper airline authorization

I refused to separate, not realizing that there were no remaining seats left the rest of the day. in other words, I was screwed. I was asked to speak with Delta ticketing and reissue my ticket for the day after.

SMS quoted a ridiculous price, and the Delta TA in T1 was no better. Without much sympathy, the agent asked for a change fee amounting to slightly more than I had paid for the ticket. I must have gotten snippy, as the agent snapped right back at me. This is when my brilliant (?) idea to wave the PM card came in. I don't recall the details, but I certainly remember eventually throwing my card on the desk with a statement in the likes of what is this status worth to the airline (before DM!), etc... The agent, even less moved, turned her back and proactively ignored me.

So, not only did I pull a DYKWIA, but I threw in some drama for impact. The result was uh, less than satisfactory.

The rest of the story -
At this point I realized that I should keep my card and that no good will be coming out of T1. I started heading over to T2, where at least i might get a clean slate for my predicament.

After several conversations with different agents, I decided the best outcome is to move the flight to a date where the fare is not double so that I can retain some of ticket value. I approached the podium once again, and explained my predicament to a yet another agent (card throwing aside ). She asked me to hold on and shortly after, she arrived with a supervisory OK to honor the reservation and exchange the ticket for day-after flights for a $200 penalty. You can imagine how glad I was to be paying 15-20% of what the quoted change fee would be. She earned her Job Well Done and complimentary letter with flying colors.

Lesson 2 - No one cares who I am. I have since become a much tamer and reasonable traveler. And have gotten much farther ahead by being po9lite and firm, when both are needed... But, I can't help but grin every time I see a DYKWIA post about or an individual in action - maybe one day they will learn too

Now, it's your turn to share

Last edited by goodandclassy; Jan 31, 2011 at 8:43 pm