FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV speaks out on Phil's case
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:54 pm
pmocek

pronunciations of Mocek

Originally Posted by Ayn R Key
When I go out in meatspace (also known as the real world) and I describe this case to people, is "Mocek" pronounced "Mosek" or "Mokek"?
Short answer: it's the former.

Accurate answer: That depends on whose pronunciation you prefer. Likely candidates are mine and my parents', and they're not the same.
  • My ancestors in the Czech Republic, distant family, and Polish Mocek friends pronounce it something like MOE-tseck, MUT-seck, or MOOT-seck (with "oo" like in "foot"). The "o" sound is a foreign sound somewhere between a hard "o" (like in "flow") and the vowel sound in "foot". The "e" may be more of a shwa sound over there.
  • My American relatives (great-grandparents emigrated from Czechoslovakia to Texas) pronounce it like MAH-sick.
  • English-centric people who read the name but haven't heard it tend, in my experience, to say MOE-seck or MOE-check.
  • As of about two years ago (during a time at which most people with whom I had regular contact knew me primarily as just "Phil"), I pronounce it MOE-seck or MOE-səck (with a barely-audible shwa). I think it's the closest Englishification of the Czech name, and causes less confusion between eyes and ears.

I don't have a strong preference.

Changing the way I pronounce my name has been kind of strange. Sometimes I introduce myself and noticeably "mispronounce" my own name before correcting myself. Saying it the new way still feels rather awkward, but I'm pressing on. "Mossick" was always strange, though familiar.

Last edited by pmocek; Jan 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm