FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Up to 2,500 Bonus Miles - American Cellars Wine Club
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:12 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
i am very skeptical of the types of wine $7 can buy. can someone give an overall drinkability ratings of those wines?
There are plenty of quite drinkable wines in the $7/bottle range. (FWIW, I'd say the plonk UA serves in domestic F costs them at most $2/bottle as a point of comparison ).

Although cost factors into the ratings for most wines--meaning a $50 90-point wine is typically "better" in drinkability than a $10 90-point wine--price shouldn't be your primary criteria in evaluating wine quality. I'm not saying expensive wines are a rip-off or bogus (which many people insist is the case), but rather that you can certainly spend $50 on a wine you like less than a $10 wine of the same varietal. (And yes, I know some fantastic $250 and $2500 wines, too.)

As for the ACWC, I found all the reds reasonably drinkable. I'm not sure the second set are worth what they charged (around $13/bottle IIRC) as I could probably find comparable wines at that price locally without paying shipping, although I would say they were better than the initial shipment's wines.

I'm going to stick with them for a third shipment just to see what I get, then probably cancel. I've enjoyed the wines so far, but after the bonus miles, they're somewhat costly compared to other places I typically buy wine.