FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ottawa considering allowing armed U.S. customs agents in Canada
Old Dec 15, 2001, 12:15 pm
flaco

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
If the issue is security of the facilities, then the security that is in place for US Consulates seems adequate--and US diplomats and consuls have not expressed a burning need to arm themselves.
</font>
I always thought that US diplomatic missions worldwide have Marines on-location for protection. Obviously they are (probably heavily) armed. I read an interview with a Marine who was stationed in Tehran in 1979. I have seen Marines at the US embassy in Mexico City.

I don't know if this proves anything, but a couple of years ago after Ocalan was captured by the Turkish government there were protests at many Israeli emabssies in Europe because many Kurds believed Israel had helped capture him. There was an incident, I think in Germany, where protesters got too close to the embassy and Israeli security guards opened fire on them, I think killing 2 poeple. There were allegations that the Israelis had fired when it wasn't necessary. Thankfully it didn't cause a war, just a lot of problems.

The Israeli sky marshals on ElAL flights leave their weapons on the plane when they deboard.

[This message has been edited by flaco (edited 12-15-2001).]