FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:50 am
gemac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by izzypoobah
I recently booked a mileage award for my mother, who is non-elite, from STL to BKK via ORD and NRT. She'll be in JL business ORD to NRT. However, we had to take a voluntary downgrade to coach for the NRT to BKK leg due to availability issues*.

Will she be able to access the JL lounge in NRT? I'm thinking no, because the applicable oneworld rules state:

So since the NRT to BKK segment technically departs one day later than the ORD to NRT, the class of travel qualification may not be met.

I thought this might be applicable as well, but intra-Asian flights are not specified as qualifying in this manner.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,
Izzy

*Actually business availability on the NRT to BKK itself is available, but somehow it is not available in combination with the STL to ORD to NRT flights. Not sure why that is, but I guess JL isn't particularly accommodating with AA awards. The worst part is I originally had a reservation for business class the whole way through, but had to cancel the it as I had provided the wrong last name.
She should get lounge access at the NRT Admirals Club. Don't know about the JL lounges. She has been on an AA international flight in business that day, even though it didn't depart that day.

Keep checking for business availability on the downgraded flight. AA will not notify you if business class award availability appears, and they won't automatically move her up. ExpertFlyer alerts will work for this, or persistence.