FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:07 am
laangelsfan

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Just completed a three night stay at The Fairfax. Upon check-in was told that I had been upgraded from Superior to Grand Deluxe room. I asked if the upgraded room was on Mass Ave and was told it was not, and that I could take a superior room on Mass instead. Decided on taking the larger room (was not planning on spending much time in the room). Arrived at the room and immediately heard a loud ventilation-like rumble coming from the hall. Got in the room, and noticed the noise was coming from inside the room. Seems like the air flow system (or w/e it was) for the floor, was based in the room. The door to the machine was similar to a closet door but locked. I went back to the lobby and asked for the smaller room on Mass Ave. The receptionist without any question or objection said no problem (alerted him to the noise in the room to which he didn't seem surprised). Not sure how anyone could sleep in that first room with that noise. He then found a GD room on Mass (like I had originally asked), and the room was just a bit smaller than the last but certainly fine by my standards and there was no noise. It was on the third floor and the street noise was barely audible, and I never heard anyone next door or in the hall. I did have a bit of light coming in from the hall at night, there was a ~1/2" gap from the bottom the door to the floor, but that was no issue for me. I received the Post every morning as requested as well as USA Today. I really enjoyed the hotel and the historical aspect of it, and the fact that it felt like the building really fit quite well with the surrounding neighborhood. The gym was equipped with four or five treadmills with built in tvs, and several free weights, but really no other machines. There was also a Starbucks a couple steps behind the hotel with free wifi. Despite the minor first room issue, I really enjoyed staying there and would gladly stay again.