FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair's E40 boarding pass reprinting fee ruled illegal in Spain
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:15 am
pacer142

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by alanR
Isn't it 15 days - just long enough so that people on 2 week holidays can't produce the return boarding card before they leave home
Correct, and you can't change a flight after you've "checked in". This always struck me as rather silly, because easyJet allow it far further in advance (at least a month - and I think the only reason they don't allow longer is to make sure people check to ensure times haven't changed) and allow you to change your flights regardless of whether you've printed it already or not. I wonder, though, if this is perhaps because FR don't like paying to use airport systems, so verification of boarding passes is just "on sight", so one can't be cancelled?

The thing I've always wondered about boarding passes is why airlines don't dispense with them. If, as is the case for Ryanair, the only valid form of ID is a passport, surely you could just scan a machine readable passport at the gate?

Neil