FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:48 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sbm12
I just called in, as I normally do a couple days after getting home from a trip, to switch from the $65 global unlimited BB plan back to my regular domestic only plan. The agent shocked me when she noted that if I did so I would not be able to ever go back on the unlimited. The $65 plan was retired on January 17, 2011 with nary a peep from anyone at VZW.

There are no more unlimited plans for BB users.

The only options that do exist suck. For Canada/Mexico only there is a $30 plan for 75MB or $100 for 200MB. If you want to include the Caribbean & Europe those same price points drop to 25/75MB usage caps. For Asia or S. America or anywhere else in the world you can either pay the monthly PLUS $2/MB or a straight $20/MB.

This sucks badly.

A few more details here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...bal-travelers/.
It looks like for Asia it is $20 a MB even with the plan. This is really pretty crappy. It wont effect me much at all in Europe, at least if I can turn the plan on and off. I looked back 6 months and only use 1-2 mb a day. So 25 mb a month for $30 will save me money if I can turn it on and off. But forget about Asia, do they expect people to actually pay $20 a mb even with a monthly plan?

This is much worse for Android than BB. They use a lot more data. I probably spend 20 or 25 days in Asia or Australia a year. That is like $400. Not great but it wont break the bank at a MB a day. But at 10 or 100 times that on an Android device, yikes. Plus they will blow over the limits pretty fast in Europe as well.

Good news for me is that I have the unlimited data plan from ATT on my iPhone.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm