FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:20 pm
Sadgoat

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United Mileage Plus, National Emerald Club, BAEC
Rant on:
As yyzvoyageur has mentioned one reason is to protect officers from having their faces plastered over the internet for all time because they have refused entry to someone.
Where I work we are not allowed to carry cell phones because there have been situations with officers counselling their friends to enter through a paticular lane.
If you can't manage to get from an aeroplane to the public arrivals area without having to continually yak on a phone I feel sorry for you, how did you manage fifteen-odd years ago when mobile phones were not so common?
It all boils down to manners, when you walk up to my counter talking away on your cell phone then slap you passport down and ignore me how do you think that portrays you as a person? I bet you are the same people who complain about the person infront who reclines their seat into your space or puts their carry on into your overhead bin.
Would you hire the person who walks into your office talking on a phone, chewing gum and treating your desk like it is their own personal space - Would they make a good ambassador for your company?
If someone wants to use a cell phone, ask me, we have a waiting room, not everyone wishes to hear how Delta only served you one glass of champagne and that your contract is only worth a million dollars.
Before anyone starts quoting "mutantur omnia nos et mutamur in illis" I like old fashioned courtesy and cardigans are stylish.
Rant over.

Go Green Bay.