FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:55 am
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
I must have missed the head-biting, the loaded question(s) and the like in the OP's question or the followup questions. But I'm no brain surgeon, so missing something is of little surprise.
Of course you don't recognize that behaviour. Look under your FlyerTalk handle there on the left. See that 'join date' thing? There was a time when somewhat civil conversations about travel safety and security happened, well before your join date. Sadly, the tone in which the OP asked his/her question is the norm around here now.

As to Response No. 3 - I have asked. While I'm not a brain surgeon and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, I'm not a complete moron incapable of making a request. For the record, on both occasions, the request to call the airline or text the pickup went over as well as asking TSA to skip to the front of the line because one is late for a flight. Not that it will stop me from asking if the future, or that others shouldn't consider asking for themselves.
If you foresee this continuing to be a problem, you might want to consider....
A) Joining Global Entry
B) Plan your connecting flights to accommodate such situations.

I, speaking obviously for myself only, simply posted a reason why I personally would like to be able to use a phone occasionally and that I would like to know why the rule is as it stands, etc, too. I do hope someone with actual CBP knowledge might be able to explain.
Your question, as you just stated, is a great example of how that question should be asked. Not the "on what authority" approach the OP took.