FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:09 am
Mixer552

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
Hello All....I stayed at the W Fort Lauder dale from Dec 27 - Jan 4 2011.
I had a great stay overall and would recommend this property highly to anyone visiting Fort Lauderdale.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale but moved away years ago. Great to see the strip getting some first class properties.

Hotel is great location and is in much better shape then older or remolded Starwood area hotels. The Westin Diplomat is a nice property as well,
you are located in a very isolated area of Hollywood beach. ( in my opinion not a great area to stay)

As a Starwood Plat my family was upgraded to Wonderful Flat. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and kitchen really helped to make the trip. Views of Inter coastal and Ocean were amazing and would not hesitate or stress about not having full facing ocean view. I was told this is not the usual upgrade and please do not expect it as normal or in the future. I noted it and appreciated it.

Like I said the kitchen was a huge perk as we could make breakfast each morning and not incur the expense of eating in the hotel. There are a few breakfast spots in close walking area but not very good best to have breakfast in room. FYI..Also have a small market with Starbucks and baked goods in lobby of Hilton across the street. Hotel also puts out a small continental breakfast on the bar in the AM.. Free coffee and Tea.

The Steakhouse 595 is great for lunch or brunch. I would skip it as a Prime steak house. Food was good not great. I would say a bit more expensive then a Capital Grille or Morton's but not as good.

Other points of note or observations to consider:
There is a major disconnect between Management and Housekeeping or Stylist as they are called. Everyday it seemed they wanted to make my room up around 5:30pm as we were trying to get dressed for dinner. No matter how much i complained it was not addressed until finally speaking to a Manager. It was fixed for 2 days but the problem returned later. Also never could get water to the room. I think that the Flats are lower priority to house keeping in the day as a result get bumped. Make certain at check in when you want your room cleaned. Good luck!

Do order up choc chip cookies and ice cream for late night snack. make sure u ask for them to make the cookies fresh..it is heaven and makes your family very happy!

Avoid New years eve at all costs!!

Ok that is enough for now..if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Safe travels.