FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:28 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MELBOURNE to AUCKLAND (MEL-AKL) on Emirates 777-300ER in first class

Boarding came around quickly, and was called in the lounge when already well underway at the gate. Quickly on thanks to the premium boarding lane.

First class was fairly full. Another pre-departure glass of bubbles, socks & mask, menu, immigration card for NZ plus express arrivals card, date & arabic coffee.

The flight from Australia east coast to New Zealand is quick due to tailwinds (about 2 hours 40 in the air) and it is amazing just how much service Emirates provides when some other airlines struggle with the basics. Given how slow I like to take meals in first class, this hop is one I'm very conscious of the time available. Normally I feel slightly rushed in order to finish up before our descent, and today was no exception. Still, it could be worse - with a early morning departure the meal is much less elaborate than it would be for an evening departure.

I just have enough time for a last drink and to rearrange my things to make the carry on and tote bag comfortable to carry when it is time to buckle up for landing. We have some good views of the city in the usual flyover and double back to land towards the west.