FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Season Passes Colorado (or 'help, I Screwed up!')
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:59 am
catharsis

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
First off, do you really need to ski 17 days in a row? Regardless of how hard-core you are, take a day off every couple days... [snip]
If you're there for that long, you're going to have days where the snow is great and days where it's not - read coloradopowderforecast.com and plan strategically for when to take off.
[snip]
Wolf Creek and the San Juan mountains aren't getting hit as hard this year as last, but they have smaller and more intimate resorts = aka fewer crowds, shorter lift lines, and much cheaper prices. Plus the powder lasts longer since they're predominately filled with Texans who ski down the middle of the runs and not through the trees.
good to know for future reference ^
[snip]... I have always said skiing is one of the cheapest things to do for a local and one of the most expensive for out-of-towners, but when you're up to your waist on a Tuesday afternoon in Blue Ski Basin with not a soul around, it will all somehow seem worth it.
AMEN ^

Many thanks for the kind words and great suggestions (and to other posters also)

I think the developing plan is to get maybe 12-day (of 15 I think) passes, add a couple of single day passes in Copper or similar, and possibly plan for an 'away day' to a more distant resort than Vail/Breck/A-Basin, which are all covered on our 12-of-15-day pass.

Staying at different accomodations isn't really an option (given we've paid about us$1000 per night already ) ... but we might look at one night away for a few of the hard-core skiiers who wanted to sneak in a day or two in another resort.

On that topic - assuming we have cars but probably NOT a 4WD - What would the recommendations be for a MUST VISIT in Colorado outside of the 'vail resorts' - either for a day trip from Avon/Vail or requiring an overnight stay?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations