FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:51 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
DUBAI to MELBOURNE (DXB-MEL) on Emirates 777-300ER in first class

First was full today and the pre-departure service not quite as good as normal, although I did have seconds of the date and coffee.

By now I'd seen most of the movies I'd wanted to watch so switched to watching tv shows and reading some papers I'd been carrying with me but hadn't gotten around to reading.

I was sufficiently rested from the sleep on the flight into Dubai to enjoy the flight, although I was starting to wonder about the likelihood of ever getting my body clock back in sync. According to basic time zone maths I'd need about 8 hours sleep on this flight too. Fat chance of that happening. Hmmmm. Perhaps something medicinal may help? Blinds down and suite door closed, a few drinks and some food may trick my body into thinking it is night time and thus into sleep?

Or perhaps not.

I tried to make it work. But by halfway through the flight, slightly tipsy and still not very tired, I was forced to admit defeat.

More hours passed with the passage of time tracked by the steady emptying and periodic refilling of my glass.

By now we'd crossed the western coast of Australia. In desparation I turned to a particularly dense paper. My head spun. Was that the paper's obtuse points or the effects of the drink? Never mind, for I drifted off somewhere near the WA/SA border. Success. At last.

For about an hour, until I was awoken to prepare for our arrival into MEL. It was pitch black outside and inside wasn't much better as my eyelids fought to stay closed.

I was offered a quick bite to eat, which I turned down with a croaky gasp for water.

My mind was still struggling to function normally when we landed and, for the second time in a little over a week upon arrival in Australia we were asked to remain in our seats so quarantine could inspect a sick passenger. !@#% I hope it isn't me they're referring to. Phew, it isn't.