FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [GONE: left 29Feb16] Hotel Kamp Helsinki, Finland, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]
Old Jun 15, 2002, 3:50 pm
ehe123

In contrast to those who failed to receive an upgrade at the Kamp, I just had one of the most incredible upgrades that I have ever received. I stayed in Helsinki on the night of the 12th. When I checked in, I made my usual query, "Are upgrades available?" The clerk said, "Actually, sir, you have been upgraded to the Kamp Suite, which is the nicest suite in the hotel." I can believe that he was not exaggerating. There was a large foyer (with guest bathroom), a huge living room, a large bedroom, and a very large bathroom. The furnishings were very impressive, with silk drapes, chandeliers, antique furniture, and marble and hardwoods in abundance. There was a Bang and Olufsen stereo system with two sets of tower electrostatic speakers (I am a stereo buf, so I appreciate this). In addition to the personal note welcoming me as a Platinum member, there was a half bottle of wine, sparkling water, Belgian chocolates, and a large fruit platter with fresh strawberries dusted in powdered sugar, kiwis, oranges, apples, etc. A bouquet of fresh roses had been placed in the room. There was a crowd that evening waiting outside of the hotel to see Shakira, the Colombian singer who was staying there. Apparently (to the annoyance of the hotel staff) Sony Music had announced in the local papers that she was staying at the hotel, and the time that she would leave to go to her concert! I had some satisfaction thinking that I probably had a nicer suite than she did (because she does not have Platinum SPG status). For those interested in toiletries, it was Molton Brown in the large bottles (in contrast to the smaller bottles available in select rooms at select locations). I noticed that the carts had some other brand, so these must be just for the suites. In summary, an upgrade like this might be worth a full year of Platinum membership benefits. Since I regularly receive upgrades (albeit not as impressive) on almost every stay, I remain a loyal SPG member. I also explain to my neighbor (who has Hilton Diamond status) what he is missing...