FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:27 pm
CrazyInteg

Originally Posted by Kalboz
But who watches TV in Thailand ... maybe only when going to bed or when waking up.
Yep, I do every morning after I wake up.

I like this open discussion, great idea Sean. As a budget traveler, I often times have trouble relating to posts on FlyerTalk. I work for a luxury hotel chain, so I often stay at nice hotels for cheap. Sure it's nice, but I can sleep at a Motel 6 no problem. I can't earn status at my own company, but I always stay with my company's properties (obvious money saver).

Even staying at low prices hotels in Thailand, you often have free internet, the spiffy guy to open the door for you, super friendly staff, and good food. Thai hospitality is great no matter what the price. However (having never stayed at a place costing more than 1200 baht) I think you get to see "real" Thai people at the lower priced places. The luxury chains all should have very professional staff and I feel that kind of takes away from the fun.

If money was no object to me, I am sure I would stay at nicer places. But as a 20-something year old guy, I would rather stay a week longer on vacation and stay at a cheaper place.

One place that I really liked was Suk 11. It was VERY unique. I don't even know how to describe it. It's a hostel (you can get individual rooms), but the place is just super cool with the decorations, hidden rooms and secret passageways. Really interesting.