FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MELBOURNE

SInce the international pier extension opened up a year or so ago I haven't enjoyed MEL transits/turnarounds as much as previously. Transit security is at the old end of the pier, and most of the time is unmanned. There is a telephone to call someone from the main security station at the base of the pier, but usually it takes 10 minutes or so for anyone to arrive. Naturally this isn't good when you're about to misconnect. Today the transit was about 90 minutes arrival to push back (or about 30 minutes from reaching transit security until reboarding) so I wasn't worried about misconnecting, but a slow response from security could significantly eat into lounge enjoyment time. Fortunately the station was manned, and thanks to my usual speedy walk I was first there. Unlike all the other Australian airport security at international terminals, including transits at Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, I've never seen anyone get a random pat-down and explosives check here, so I've never bothered with my tricks to reduce the odds of getting it (ie by not being first one through).

The lounge is downstairs, but not right on the ground as the Air NZ lounge is. I had to remind myself where exactly it was as normally I use either Qantas first class lounge or NZ lounge (and rarely Singapore Airlines lounge or Qantas business class lounge).

The Australian & New Zealand Emirates lounges are much the same, at least for the 4 I've visited recently. Brisbane is a little different in that there is an exit from the lounge directly to the gate.

Bubbles on offer were Moet and Veuve Clicquot. The usual (for EK) wide array of hot & cold snacks. The lounge was fairly full. I had just enough time to catch up on some messages and it was time to board again.