FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying AA, rookie error - forgot my passport! (& solutions)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:01 am
SceneStealer7

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Flying AA, rookie error - forgot my passport! (& solutions)

So I made the most amateur move one can make: I'm headed off on an international trip and realized last night I forgot my passport. I typically keep it in my suitcase, but lately have been warned by many that it's a bad idea to do that, so I put it with my important documents at home - where of course, it remains.

I'm in DC right now (home city is NYC), and couldn't manage to find anyone who was going from NYC to DC today and could just bring it with them. Tonight, I fly down to MIA, and then tomorrow morning I'm supposed to fly on the 9:15am flight from MIA to NAS. Unfortunately, the earliest overnight delivery option is guaranteed by 8am for $80 (FedEx), which is not quite early enough for me get from hotel to airport and through security in enough time.

After considering various options (same day courier service is about $270), I decided the best course of action is to have it regular overnighted to Miami ($30) to arrive at my hotel by 10:30am, and do same day standby for a later flight. Given that I have several conference calls in the afternoon (which I was originally planning to take from NAS but will now take from MIA), I'm going to try for the 5:30pm flight, with the 9:20pm as my backup. However, the 9:20pm is the last flight of the night, so if I can't get on that, in addition to not getting there, I also forfeit my ticket and will have to purchase a walkup the next day. The AAgent I spoke with said that both evening flights are wide open right now, but I know that can change. Still, with two flights as options - do you think it's worth it to pay the $50 to confirm it? Or should I take my chances?

Alternately, if anyone has better/creative suggestions for getting my passport to me, I'm open to those - have a few more hours before it's going to be in the hands of UPS