FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Killing 6 hrs at CDG
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:39 am
Mountain Man

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by HypnoticEyez
Like the OP, I have a 6h 35m layover on Jan 28th at CDG before a connecting flight to AMS then on to BGO. I was wondering if I had time to at least see the Eiffel Tower and have a bite to eat?
A lot depends on what time you're arriving. If arriving early morning then you can hit the rush-hour and getting in to Paris can take more than an hour. If it's after the rush hour you can be in the centre of Paris in less than 30 minutes. Similarly, you need to factor in traffic for the return trip.

Having said that, if you don't need to pick up bags/ recheck them later, you probably have time for a whirlwind tour of Paris, especially if you have a "driver" in your cousin. Your cousin could drive you into Paris, taking the peripherique to Porte Maillot, and from there up to the Arc de Triomphe. Then drive down to Trocadero to admire the Eiffel Tower. While your cousin finds a parking spot (parking can be challenging in Paris) walk across the Pont d'Iena to the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars. You probably won't have time to go up the Eiffel Tower (the queues can be an hour or more). Meet up with your cousin who has since parked his car, and grab a bite to eat (brunch/lunch/coffee?). After brunch/lunch/coffee take the Voie Rapide along the banks of the Seine, with small detours at the Place de la Concorde and the Ile de la Cité (to see Notre Dame). From there take the peripherique and the A3 back to CDG. Approximate trip time: 4 hours!