FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shanghai taxis with a toddler
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:11 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PTravel
Not having children, I've never looked for one. However, I can tell you this -- it is the rare taxi in China that even has a working seat belt. The newer taxis do and, perhaps, they will have the hook that you're talking about. However, there are so many old rattletraps running around, I wouldn't plan on finding one with any consistency, if at all. If you're staying at an upscale hotel, you can arrange for a "black car" -- a private car that costs about double the taxi rate. These are usually nice vehicles -- Mercedes and the like -- well maintained, with, at least, seat belts.
Agree with this. I think your realistic transport options are:

1) Engage private car to your specifications, that can fit a seat or harness as you prefer. This will obviously be relatively expensive.

2) Use random taxis and hold your child in your lap or next to you in the back seat. No restraints--sort of like most of us did daily decades ago in the pre-seat belts/pre-safety fixation era. I wouldn't count on being able to lug around a car seat and being able to secure it, so I think that idea is not one to craft a strategy around.

3) Use buses and subway and on foot, for locations/distances where this is feasible.

Maybe combination of all three?