FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Branson on BA
Thread: Branson on BA
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:49 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bernardd
It's not a new revelation - credited to Sir Colin Marshall, and still taught today : "The customer doesn't expect everything will go right all the time; the big test is what you do when things go wrong."

I wonder how many in BA remember that?
An innocent question here with no real agenda..

Do we think that BA genuinely believes it stands by customers when things go wrong and seeks to sort out problems on their behalf (like the examples given)? Or do BA cynically calculate that in the short term there is no point in going the extra mile because a lot of customers will not switch carrier since BAEC effectively locks them to BA and on many routes there is little direct flight competition whilst the indirect flight options probably don't play well to BA's core audience (I am thinking of AF and LH particularly).

I haven't had the greatest service recovery experience recently with BA and I think it is probably a result of the latter deliberate policy choice, but maybe I am the cynic and the problem is caused by a lack of resources to progress service recovery because of innocent mistakes in trying to reduce staff numbers (and thus costs).