FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAN programming under Windows?
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:53 pm
BigLar
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by new2japan
Yes, you would just share a folder. You can buy a NAS (small network attached storage) and not even need a computer. Apple does a good job of this with its time capsule. Another good option is microsoft's home server os.

Basically though, if you just want to share a folder on the XP machine you right click and....its too late to type it. Lots of tutorials online and it should be easy.
The sharing a folder part is easy. As I said, I can just pass files back and forth with wild abandon. .

However, I want to be able to execute programs on the remote machine (that are resident on the remote machine) and go about my business while he's doing his thing, without having to go down to the basement and work the keyboard.

It may be pretty easy and I'm just not looking in the right places, but Mircosoft seems to tell you all about things you don't care about in great detail, and not much about what you do.

Google didn't turn up anything, but who knows if I used the appropriate search phrases?

And, because this is more of a hobby thing than a business expense, I'm not all that keen on hiring consultants, buying new OS's and re-doing the whole thing. I just want to be able to do some simple stuff I did 15 years ago.