FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:39 pm
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
When you are in those expensive hotels, do you even feel like you are in Thailand?
Definitely, the Thai hospitality is at its best at these properties ... and you will feel it.

Can you watch Thai TV?
Sure, 42" and up with quality picture and plenty of Thai & international TV channels ... the wife likes to watch the late night Thai soaps. But who watches TV in Thailand ... maybe only when going to bed or when waking up.

Is the food good, or do you have to leave the hotel to get real Thai food?
The food (Thai or otherwise) is awesome by world-renowned chefs sometimes especially their buffets style dining. Thai food at restaurants such as Basil (SGS) and the White Elephant (JW Marriott) is exceptional and at surprisingly good value.

I just don't see the value in staying in a $100 a night four star hotel in Thailand.
I don't want to sound elitist but without the status benefits, as BigE stated, it's hard to justify the $100-150/night spending especially that we travel on my own dime. Couple of years ago we stayed at the Conrad BKK and although I paid $175/night (on their 50% off sale rate ) the stay was a disaster as I don't have any status with HHonors.

Also, keep in mind what Dr. HFH stated above that most quality Bangkok hotels offer great value in comparison with comparable hotels in other major cities such as London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, or your hometown. During our last visit, the highest we paid was THB 4,464/night (about $175 ai) but it was a spacious room with an amazing views including lounge benefits (breakfast, happy hours, tea-time, laundry, beverages 6AM-12PM, etc.) Lounge benefits are important to us as we have a toddler in tow (hot water, milk, etc.). Here's a breakdown of our last Bangkok visit with hotels and their cost:

• JW Marriott Bangkok: 2 nights - THB 4,464++ Corner room with lounge benefits
  • ROS: 4 nights - THB 3,060++ Executive Suite with lounge benefits including breakfast buffet.
  • Renaissance Bangkok: 3 nights - THB 2560++ Renaissance Suite with lounge benefits
  • SGS: 8 nights -THB 3,999++ Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. Three weekends at the Weekend Rate (3-2-3 nights)
  • SGS: 4 nights - THB 3,750++ Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. This was an SPG50 rate.
  • SGS: 1 night - Free Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. This was a redemption for the AP MC promo.
  • 4P Sukhumvit: 3 nights - THB 1,900++ Spacious room with benefits including breakfast buffet, happy hour at the Beer Vault, etc.
  • Plaza Athenee: 3 night -THB 3,600++ Executive Suite with lounge benefits including breakfast buffet.

Please feel free to view our photos below to see how amazing these properties/rooms/suites are!