FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:45 pm
braslvr

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I'm a single male, late 20's and I consider myself a budget traveller.

My budget is 800 baht a night. I always try to shoot for 600 baht a night. That usually gets me a room with hot water, sit down toilet, air conditioner, TV and American breakfast. If I really want to splurge, 1200 baht is about my limit. I usually stay around On Nut or further east. The BTS extension hasn't opened yet, so the guesthouses are still cheap.

It seems strange to me to visit the far east and then just stay at an American hotel. When you are in those expensive hotels, do you even feel like you are in Thailand? Can you watch Thai TV? Is the food good, or do you have to leave the hotel to get real Thai food?

With the horrible dollar, I just stayed at an apartment for my last trip. My buddy got me in at a place that cost 6000 baht plus electricity for 2 weeks.

I've never tried one of those Home Stays, but I will probably give that a shot sometime.

I just don't see the value in staying in a $100 a night four star hotel in Thailand.
I'm a lot older than you, but I agree 100%. I don't go quite as cheap as you in BKK, (because I don't want to be that far out) but 1200-1400 baht always gets me a sparkling clean modern room w/breakfast in exactly the area I want to be in. The same can be had in Pattaya for 800-1000. Hotels at this level of cleanliness, amenities, and service can easily cost $150/night in the US. I pay for my airfare and extend my stays with the savings. I also realize that plenty of folks have lots more discretionary funds than I do.