FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:22 am
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Caradoc
You have the overwhelming advantage of having seen the SOP, which is forbidden to us - the passengers - who're expected to follow the TSOs utterly nonsensical orders without question under threat of arrest and/or fines while being barked at for not knowing today's procedure because we're not allowed to know it.

Add that to the simple fact that there are entire airports with 70%-100% failure rates of detecting the Red Team tests, and the SOP becomes utterly meaningless except as a sideshow attempt to "prove" to the American public that the federal government is here to "protect" them while revealing that the entire program is utterly incapable of doing so.

Claiming "success" at detecting "dangerous objects" for confiscating pocketknives and embroidery scissors is ridiculous. The passengers will not allow someone to attempt a hijacking with a mere knife ever again.

Claiming "success" at detecting "contraband" and turning people over to LEOs for a mere joint, or even a "pipe" with zero residue is even more ridiculous.

I've quit two jobs in the past ten years because of policies I didn't like. I just changed jobs to insure I don't have to travel any more, too.

If you've genuinely complained to your management about procedures you found objectionable, then you have my apologies and my sincere condolences for being unqualified for any other line of work - or you'd already be in it by now, wouldn't you?
I agree that I have that advantage, and in some cases I disagree with what is considered SSI and what is not - but I don't make the rules. Claiming success at finding things that are listed as prohibited items is just fine, many companies post information about what they find wrong, or right and fix, in this case, it is simply something they post to let the public know that we are - in fact - finding dangerous and prohibited items.

I am glad that you have changed employment over policies you didn't like, many folks just do not give up that easy, hold the same convictions you do, or prefer to work and change things for the better rather than letting things go on. I prefer to work on what I can make better and move forward - if things get to a point where I am at an impasse with the rules, then I will go somewhere else as well.

Please do not presume to speak for me, I have plenty of job skills that have nothing to do with my current employment so I am quite happy with my place in life.