FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should have never tried Priceline...
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:39 am
ReconDoc

Originally Posted by ihispanic
Good analogy. When buying a car, you have the option to purchase a wholesale pricing breakdown from Consumer Reports so you don't get taken. But, the difference here is that, with the car, you know what the final product will be. You might overpay, but you're still getting what you're expecting. With Priceline, you can both overpay and end up with something other than what you expected. I think that's where most of the "I'll never use Priceline again" outrage comes from.

Mike....

Mike, I will up your analogy.

Priceline is closer to bidding on a car---in this case an economy car---and you know its going to be either a Ford or a Chevy---with certain options----and your wining bid could be 50%-70% less money than the cheapest other way of buying a car.

Now you might do your homework and be pretty sure its a Ford Focus you will get----but you cannot be positive.

And while you cannot pick the exact make of car you can get it for 70% off list price.

For 70% there are some people out there that will assume some risk and will do their homework before they bid.

With PL pretty much the only people who claim to be unhappy are those that have not done there homework. And for those I have no pity.

That is just life