FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2011 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated - obsolete)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:16 am
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Fliight 1296?

Originally Posted by I_Sue_Debt_Collectors
When i went into the AC they told me the flight was "no longer in service" and that it was probably a mech issue but they didn't know for sure. My guess is that they cancelled it b/c the flight was empty and so was the next flight.
The cancellation of a flight solely b/c of a light load is one of the great travel-related urban legends. AA (and all other carriers for that matter) need planes and crews at their scheduled destinations. Taking a plane + crew out of the schedule causes a significant ripple throughout the system so the chances are great that it was a mechanical issue - and the system hadn't been updated w/that information yet.

Originally Posted by I_Sue_Debt_Collectors
I am new to AA, currently Gold and on a Plat challenge. I know that if i were to vol give up my seat on a overbooked flight i would be compensated. What if anything should I expect?
You should expect to arrive in Atlanta slightly later than your original flight. You may also receive a few thousand RDM in your AAdvantage account.

As for the issue of the canceled meeting/unhappy client. I assume you meant you were on Flight 1296, w/a 9:25 departure & a scheduled arrival of 12:25 pm. If so, then you have presumably been rebooked on AA 1868, w/a scheduled arrival less than one hour later (1:20 pm) than your original flight. If less than an hour causes that serious a problem w/your meeting/client, etc.. then in the future - give yourself a bigger time buffer for potential problems.