FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:30 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
A less frequent flier ponders his credit balance

Trying to understand the conversion process.

For the sake of argument, let's say I get to March 1 with 8 RR1 credits in my account, earned from 10/09 thru 2/11. Starting 3/1, I begin earning RR2 points. The points remain as points and do not auto-convert to credits. Once I earn enough points to top off my credit balance (9600, if I can get them before my credits start expiring), then I have the option to convert my points to credits (1200 => 1) to top off my final RR1 award.

But it won't auto-convert, if I choose to keep my points as points, I can, right? For example, if I don't earn the points before my credits start expiring, I might not get enough points to top off until 1/13, when I might need 15 credits or 18K points. Those same 18K points could be used instead for $300 worth of RR2 award tickets, which might well be a better deal, depending on my travel plans, especially considering they don't have an expiration date the way an RR1 award would.

For the more frequent fliers, is there any rule against redeeming a RR2 award from points while you still have RR1 credits in your account? If not, having even a single remaining credit on 3/1/11 could be pretty valuable. If it's new, it would let you amass and redeem RR2 point awards, while waiting as late as 2/13 to convert points to get a RR1 award expiring as late as 2/14, when you do have a need for a redemption for an expensive last minute ticket. (Aside, I wonder how long that process will take, from deciding to convert until the RR1 award is available for booking?)

The last thing I wonder about is RR1 capacity controls. The FAQ says RR1 expiration dates and inventory restrictions will remain. But as RR1 fades away, fewer and fewer people will have RR1 awards to redeem. If they keep capacity controls at the same level, redemptions would get a lot easier. But if they shrink standard award seat availability as the number of outstanding awards shrink, then at the end, it could be hard to find a flight.

Comments?