FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:37 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infoe
Hey all, long time lurker (as guest) first couple of posts (most of them have been over on the buy gold coins threads (sorry if thats not a very liked subject) I'm hoping you guys will help out a noob.

I have 3 upcoming flights (havent signed up for jan16 challenge yet) late jan, early feb, early march (early march is for my wedding back home in miami) ((the earlier two flights are for preperations not like you care but thanks for reading)

I will be flying DFW-MIA and back for the first 2 trips
the third trip i will be flying dfw-mia and we dont know the honeymoon destination as of yet but essentially will probably be flying AA back into dallas either through somewhere in the us virgin islands back direct to dfw or from virgin islands-mia-dfw

essentially each flight from dfw-mia and back is 2242 x 3= 6726 enough for gold if i fly 1.0eqm

6726 x 1.5eqm would = 10089 enough for plat.

Am I right so far?
Yep

Here's my main dilemma i've read the newbie thread but i just dont understand how to land a 1.0eqm flight at the price of a .5 (deep discount which is all ive been flying cause were trying to save money every time we go home and visit family from dfw) or how to buy a 1.5eqm for the price of a 1.0 (which I would totally do to get platinum)

Can anyone check my math and tell me if so far i'm right and would anyone lend me a hand i can give them my number and or just walk me through it through PM...would greatly appreciate it. I gotta get this late Jan flight already in the next day or so at the latest. Thanks all and thanks for making this board with alot of helpful users.
I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and www.farecompare.com/flyertalk to find the nest fares. One thing to consider is to look for routings via ORD or NYC to MIA. Takes longer but gets you more miles and thus more points.

I guess another question I have is as I learn about upgrades (stickers) I wonder if having them or using them from the deep discount would do me any good? my ultimate goal is of course to be able to fly first class as much as possible and of course the perks of being plat
the use of electronic upgrades / aka "stickers" is not fare dependent.

*edit* goes to show how n00b i am..i think i should have put eqp where i put eqm
No worries