FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does it make sense to use a TSA lock outside the US?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:04 pm
falconea

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by celle
I also travel through Asia a lot and there have been stories (true or not) of drugs being placed inside unsuspecting travellers' bags. There again, I'm hoping that the unlocked bag will be chosen instead of mine.
Some stories are true, AFAIK. Others are drug smugglers attempting to avoid a death sentence for drug possession or trafficking. The Schapelle Corby case is a case in point, but regardless of the debate as to whether she had drugs knowingly the actual fact is that she was caught with a bag containing drugs and she she admitted the bag was hers. The law in Indonesia defines possession as a death penalty, without regard for how the drugs came into her possession. She clearly broke Indonesian law. Other nearby countries have similar laws - there was a case a few years ago of an Australian in transit in Singapore being caught after he triggered a metal detector. He was eventually executed since the drugs in his possession exceeded the amounts where mandatory death penalty kicked in.

I lock my luggage for a little deterrence and also for evidence of tampering. I never use TSA locks - I fail to see the point in using a lock that has master keys in existence. I use a good quality small padlock, and if in TSA land I use multiple coloured cable ties, or those numbered cable ties. I am far more concerned about something being added to my luggage and then being detected at a refuelling stop in a country with draconian drug laws that I am about someone stealing my clothes.

I also attempt to avoid touching down in countries with laws like this. I don't comprehend why Australians still go to Bali!

Audrey