FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LH in Europe - downgraded catering (J+Y) 2011 edition
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:45 am
Furnle

Programs: LH FT, IB
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I don't have my notes and the press folder with, so I corrected the post with what I guess to be the levels.

As far as the being 'sold' is concerned: we (rcs8551, ralfkrippner & I) gave the guy a hard time that the infamous 'competitive' pasta dish was eliminated on the spanish and northeastern routes for example. The presentation was on the 15th, the concept was implement on the 9th, so we had some lead on what to look for. They insisted catering in Y was coming back on all routes (I personally saw ARN-MUC go from warm food in Y & C down to cold snack in C and sandwich in Y over 6 years) but that some routes that had better catering due competitive reasons may suffer, inlcuding spain and baltics.

The beverages stay the same as far as the info was given out. LH has the problem that they launched the new catering on 09EC but didn't have the time to train and inform all FAs on the new food. They only see whats loaded or have to inform themselves in the CRA.
The service levels are called 'SST' or Modul A-F so feel free to ask the Purser what service level your flight has to file a proper complaint
Well, about the "competitive reasons", that's how the concept can be used in a misguided direction. In some routes, Lufthansa was competitive with the old catering (in some not). So, I understand that you upgrade the catering in some routes. But beeing more competitive giving less, it means a competition by the costs, not by the service.

In fact, Lufthansa would have made a much smarter move if improving the catering in some routes (domestic, for instances, and in C class), and keep others as they were. For sure that the cost of that would be very small if compared with the better image they'd get instead of letting a lot of people thinking that there is no reason in paying more to fly Lufthansa, and, worse, that they were fooled.

Next week I will fly OPO - FRA again, and, as it is lunch time, for sure the "improved" catering will be a sandwich instead of the pasta or meat or chicken dish. For me, it will be time to complaint. Again.

So, for now, LH has downgraded:

FRA-TLL-FRA (Y and C)
MUC-TLL-MUC
FRA-HEL-FRA
OPO-FRA-OPO

What else?