FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Mega-threads' are out of control. What can the TB do to fix it?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:38 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I would suggest that if they lose momentum that they're going to drop pretty far down in the pages listed in the first place & thus might not need merging into the mega-threads.

...Earlier this year I started a thread in a forum (fill in the blank re: which forum it was ) re: needing help on a specific issue & had a very short timeline to get the response. Because my initial line mentioned where the problem came up, it got shunted to that megathread - even though the problem & what I was asking for advice/needed help on had nothing to do w/ the thread it got merged into - and the merge happened 10 minutes after I posted. We're not talking a long time - we're talking 10 minutes for crikey's sake!

If my problem had to do w/ where the thread got shunted to, I would have understood it. But the mod just read the first line, didn't read the entire post, & shunted it to a thread where it wouldn't get a response & had nothing to do w/ that thread. And I ended up having to PM a bunch of FTers fast to try & get a response. To me that's an example of where a megathread merge should not have occurred.
Originally Posted by tom911
For comparison, a similar topic on AA had 9 posts and was not merged with any threads from 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2009, or 2010.

UA 2002 thread: It's so depressing to see that zero.... [Merged Threads]

AA 2011 thread: Account "YTD" now reset to 0/0/0

Again, I don't see what value comes to any forum by dredging up a megathread from 9 years ago. Both the UA and AA threads have rolled back to page 3. If the UA thread hadn't been merged it would probably be even further back.
I agree that there is no need to merge as many posts. That a delayed merge is as bad as a speedy one. Let the thread die a natural death. ^

I'm guessing it's the busybody "Report Bad Post" happy members that are the issue here.

My opinion is just because somebody says it has to be moved to another forum or merged to another thread isn't reason enough.

Every act of moderation affects someone and also consumes time. If the OP wanted the seperate thread, I look for a reason to leave it, not move it. How do you all feel when your posts are moved or deleted? Newer members (and us old dogs too) don't always appreciate the 24 hour a days thoughts that it would be better blended with a 1500 post hodgepodge.

This brings us back to the concept of Overmoderation. It's by virture of wanting to be helpful. But the tides have shifted. And we need to respond to the ever evolving product that FT has become.